Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Technique Tuesday

Happy Tuesday friends and followers!  We hope you are having a great week so far.  Our technique for this week is making different shaped cards.  The standard card is a regular rectangle folded in half to make a smaller rectangle.  While that is just great and very simple to make, it's also a lot of fun to make different shapes.  This can sometimes be time consuming if you haven't made a card that shape before, but after a little trial and error it's not as hard as it might seem.  Believe us!  Ha ha!  

Card 1: Yes it is a rectangle, but it's an extra long rectangle.  You can only make 2 cards out of the cardstock it takes for the backing, but this is one pretty cool card.  I actually made this shape for my Christmas cards last year.  I forgot how time consuming it is because of all the different patterns you need, but it just pops with color.  :)  This rectangle card is a tri-fold, so it fits into a regular sized envelope, but it opens out into one big card.  It's great for birthdays, Christmas, or even a baby shower.  


Card 2:  An oval.  I made this card for Easter.  I wanted to make something a little different and figured that since eggs are the typical shape for Easter I should use it for a card.  You can do so much with this shape.  You can put letters on it with your occasion, but I had that fun rick-rack ribbon and thought it'd be fun to make it look like an old fashioned decorated egg.  Super cute! 


Card 3: Yes it's a rectangle again, but the way it opens is very different.  The back in a rectangle, but there are 2 flaps that fold over to cover the inside.  Not only are there flaps, but they are two different sizes to give a little dimension.  Add in a brad holding the flaps closed and you have a super fun birthday card.  

Card 4: A Square.  I love square cards.  They do cost a little bit extra to send, but can really make a statement depending on your occasion.  This is a wine part invitation.  Squares are great for birthday cards and invitations, baby showers and pretty much anything you could want.  

Card 5: Marquee!  I couldn't find a picture of any other cards in this shape, so I had to use the baby shower invitation Lisa made for me.  She used a marquee to make the head of the owl.  Love it!  She has also made anniversary and birthday cards in that shape.  You can have it horizontal like this one or make it a vertical card just as easily.  Either way looks adorable.  All you need is some materials to decorate and you are finished.  

There are so many other shapes you can use and I know I will kick myself in about 10 minutes when I remember another one, but oh well.  I think 5 is enough for you to ponder right now.  :)  

Happy Crafting! Lisa and Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment